Friday, October 24, 2014

Tagged under:

Bahçeşehir Üniversitesi: BAU






Since I have been studying here for a couple of months, I decided to write a post about it. I hope it to help students planning to "study abroad" here. The things I am writing here are my opinions and has no relation to BAU official position. And I do not get any benefits for writing this although I got scholarship to study here from UNI (not BAU).

For official information go to bachesehir.edu.tr and choose "english" language option from top right. For course description go to ects.bahcesehir.edu.tr.

Bachesehir University, located on the European edge of Bosphorus not very far from the Bosphorus Bridge, is a fairly new institution with a lot of potential. Established in 1998, it has agreements with many universities in the USA (including UNI of course), Asia and ERASMUS (again, go to the website for complete listings). I recommend studying here instead of other university because the classes, most if not all, are in English. Don't get fooled if the syllabus says the class is in English. I went to a class which was supposed to be in English but not really, but the professor was nice enough to let us know that we should drop the class within 20 minutes of staying in the class due to language barrier. Understand that both professors and students are comfortable in Turkish so learning few basic phrases before coming here and brushing your skills here will be your source of survival. But I have learned, by meeting other exchange students, that BAU is far better when it comes to use of English.

For me I do not have language problems with classes here. Before starting the semester, I got to meet a professor from Math department (graduated from a US university) who suggested me what classes I could take. Also, there is a two week add drop period where you can check out classes. Turkish lessons are not mandatory for exchange students but are recommended if you can live through midterms and finals. I did not take Turkish classes but learned a little bit from my friends and looking at "sözlük". It came in very handy while traveling around Turkey. Turkish people are nice but they are nicer when you try to put in some Turkish sentences in your conversation.

The location of campus is just perfect. There are 3-4 campuses around Istanbul (they also have "world campuses" abroad) but I all my classes were in main campus in Besiktas which is very near the famous Bosphorus Bridge and Dolmabache Palace. The main campus three buildings (they call it A, B, C and D buildings but it is hard to distinguish between B and C buildings). And on the terrace of D building there is a cafeteria for students with an amazing view of the Bosphorus and the Asian side of the city. On a clear day, you probably would want to sit up there, drink tea all day, and not go to classes: it is that beautiful. Also there is a yacht shuttle available between the Besiktas and Galata campus almost every hour. That makes it very easy for students who have classes in two campuses especially when the road traffic moves very slow. So you can call it one of the best campus in Istanbul.

The people that I got to meet here were amazing as well. The school had arranged pick up service for us here but I was unable to find my "Buddy". Fortunately I met other buddies, and they helped me find him. These group of students were our core Turkish friends. They showed us around the city, invited us to parties, helped register for our classes and helped us get our resident permit. Most of them were part of a student organization called ERASMUS Student Network (ESN) chapter of BAU. Obviously we did a lot of things among the visiting students as we learned more and more about the new place but without these people it would have been a very difficult transition. People in the community are very nice and friendly. Living in a big city, you do not expect people be so considerate to you. In addition Beste had become my go to person in everything relating to school. She is the incoming exchange student coordinator and is one of the nicest person you can meet at BAU. If you are an exchange student going to  BAU, I highly recommend you send her an email beste.oztopal@bahcesehir.edu.tr

About the professors, they are nice too. If you give them enough time, they put the efforts to know you personally. If you go the suggested problems and ask them for their feedback or help they will be more than happy to talk to you. I had similar experience.


Overall, It is a great school. You will love it there. Once you get into the academic setting here you will sink into its comforts and in the marvel of the great city. See it for yourself. All the best

0 comments:

Post a Comment